Friday, May 1, 2009

Bird Feeding and Vegetable Growing

We haven't seen any birds at the feeder yet, but they've been there. Although we filled the feeder with wild bird food purchased at the grocery store, I read somewhere that if you really want to attract birds, you'll provide them with unshelled sunflower seeds. I bought a jar, and sprinkled some around the bottom of the feeder. A day later all the sunflower seeds were gone. So they're definitely coming by, LOL! Kudos to hubby for picking a good spot--in a tree with lots of branches (to protect from predators), and next to the back yard fountain (birds like a water source after they eat).

Crunchy Chicken had a post up today on starting veggies from seeds vs. plant starts, asking her readers to share their experiences. It seems to be a mixed bag in terms of success, so I don't feel quite so bad about my own struggles! My lettuce seedlings are doing something weird--the leaves look great, but the stems are all drooping and tangling together. I brought a small tray of them to a garden shop, and was told that they might not be getting enough light, so I bought an extra lamp (at Value Village, naturally!) to shine on them. Some have perked up, but they're still tangling.

On the other hand, the sunflower and herb seedlings look fantastic. I also started spinach seeds directly in a pot outdoors a few days ago (spinach is a cool weather crop), and they haven't yet started to sprout. I'm still debating whether I'll try tomatoes this year or not, but I think I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment