Sunday, July 18, 2010

Why quinoa is like liver

Did your parents ever serve you liver as a kid, "because it's good for you"? Whether it is or not is debatable, but what isn't debatable is that liver is one of the foulest tasting things you can eat. My siblings and I learned, however, that if you smothered liver with enough bacon and onions, it became edible.

Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa") is one of the healthiest grains you can eat. I learned about it during pregnancy, reading something or other about the best foods to eat for your baby. So I bought it, cooked it, ate it--and promptly upchucked all of it. Like liver, quinoa was one of the foulest tasting things I'd ever tried. (Although quinoa's health benefits are much more certain!).

I couldn't stomach the thought of eating quinoa again during pregnancy, nor a year later when it was served at a luncheon I attended. But my daughter is now five and morning sickness is a distant memory, so I decided it was time to try it again. (Because it's good for me, of course!). No, I didn't throw up this time. But I decided that as with liver, you need to smother quinoa to make it edible. In this case, I used curried tofu and vegetables. As long as each bite had enough tofu and veggies to overpower the taste of the quinoa, I was fine. But without it, blecch!

5 comments:

  1. Jeez! You're just like Ma with her dislike of oatmeal! Both grains are delicious and good for you. What's not to like? Do you need some recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I never understood your distaste for raspberries. Did you genetically pass it on to your child, or is she copying your likes and dislikes? (BTW, raspberries on oatmeal-THE BEST!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some first-time eating experiences can be traumatic, whether it's being force-fed oatmeal at age five by your grandparents when your mother is in labor, or attempting to eat quinoa for the first time when you're plagued with morning sickness! But hey, if you have some good quinoa recipes, I'm open to trying them! You never know, one just might do the trick to help me overcome my quinoa phobia. Btw, I personally like oatmeal.

    FYI, my kid hates all berries, even though strawberries and blueberries are my favorite fruits! But she loves cherries, grapes, apples and bananas, so I think she'll be all right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try this yummy & easy very summery quinoa salad and see if it helps you embrace the ancient grain:

    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1646460

    If that doesn't convince you, then perhaps my friend Michael's quinoa post: http://michaelprocopio.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/quinoa-its-an-ancient-grain/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete