Monday, March 23, 2009

Weekend Shopping Update

On Sunday, daughter and I went to Goodwill on 38th Street. Yeah, I strayed from our favorite, Value Village. I had been looking for a while for one of those shower organizers that you hang over the showerhead to store your soap, shampoo, etc., and Value Village hasn't had one. I found one at Goodwill for $1.99. Daughter also found an adorable pair of pink sneakers, in great condition, for $1.99. They're too big right now, but she'll grow into them in about a year. (That didn't stop her from wearing them to daycare today! She got compliments on them from her little buddies as soon as she walked in the door). Knowing this, dear readers, how can you not support the petition to create a National Thrift Store Month?

I also went to Goodwill because it's next to Marlene's Marketplace, a natural foods store that I hadn't yet investigated. Not surprisingly, the store is too pricey for my budget. However, I did find Preserve razor blades there, which I had been searching for. Preserve makes razors, toothbrushes, and kitchen products from recycled plastic.

I first bought a Preserve razor and some blades from Whole Foods in Boston, but haven't found them anywhere here in Tacoma. (The nearest Whole Foods is in Seattle; Trader Joe's carries their toothbrushes but not their razors. I told the TJ Manager, who said she didn't realize they made razors, and she'd look into stocking them). I don't have to shave very often, so it takes me about 6 months to go through a single razor blade. I really wanted to buy Preserve again, and was struggling with the idea of having to go back to disposables or buying them online ($7.49 for 4 blades, plus shipping and handling). So I was thrilled to find and purchase the 4-blade pack for $5.99 at Marlene's.

The other reason why I wanted to stick with Preserve is because they will accept #5 plastics and used Brita filters from their customers, which they use to create their products. My municipality doesn't accept #5 plastics in its recycling bins, and no one else, that I know of, takes Brita filters, so I'm delighted to have a means to recycle this stuff!

Oh! I almost forgot! I purchased a book from one of the vendors at the WA Alliance of Black School Educators conference: "Going Natural: How to fall in love with nappy hair" by Mireille Liong-A-Kong. This will help me on my "no more chemicals" journey. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment