Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Move over, quinoa, I'm in love with farro!

At a conference I attended recently, I requested vegetarian for dinner. The meal I was brought consisted of grilled veggies in a creamy sauce, served over a grain that looked like unpopped popcorn kernels.

I had never seen the grain before, but when I tasted it, it was phenomenal! The same grain was served as a crunchy topping on our salads the next day, and was just as good that way. I asked one of the waitstaff about it, and he told me it was farro, a "super grain" that is originally from the Middle East, but is now grown organically in Washington state. As this web site which sells it describes it,

It's high in fiber, protein and nutrients, and absolutely delicious - nutty, full-flavored and with an appealingly chewy texture.


So now I don't have to eat quinoa to benefit from a super grain--I can eat farro! Even better, it's a local food for me!

(*I have to admit, though, quinoa has grown on me--just a little--since I wrote this post).

No comments:

Post a Comment